Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy New-Birthday to ME!

Today, I am six years new!  At this time, six years ago, I was knocked out on an operating table.  I'd been in surgery about two hours by now.  I had my gastric bypass surgery on St. Patrick's Day, March 17, 2004!  Surgery was at UCSF at 8 AM.  I had to be there at 6 AM.  I think we had to get up at 3 AM to get there on time.  It was quite a morning.

My friend, Vanessa, took me to surgery.  When we arrived, they took us upstairs in a big elevator with another lady and her husband (I found out later Kandy was also having surgery and we became friends when we met at our follow up appointment a few weeks later).  Per the instructions given to me pre-surgery, I was assigned a "comfortable gurney" and given a stupid hat to wear.  I got into my hospital gown and sat on the gurney with Vanessa, where we giggled about my stupid outfit and ugly socks.  I was so nervous and so excited.  But, as I like to say, I have the easy job...I get to sleep!

And sleep I did.  FOR HOURS.  They ran into complications and my surgery went longer than expected.  Most people say when they have the early surgery, they are somewhat awake by about 2-3 PM.  Vanessa didn't even get a status on me until 5 PM.  I don't really remember waking up until 7 or 8 PM.  It was a rough day.  I woke up to the worst pain I've ever felt in my life and body spasms.  My mom and sister came to visit but I was in and out of consciousness so I barely remember it. Vanessa just reminded that when they finally let her see me, I said, "they cut me."  haha!  That's all I was worried about.  I don't even remember that anymore!  Foggy brain!

And even with all of that pain, I wouldn't change my decision to have surgery for the world.  Despite my continued battle of the bulge, I am still over 125 pounds lighter than when I started.  My weight changes every single day.  Last Friday, I was up to 227 pounds, two days ago, down to 224, yesterday up to 226, today back to 227.  I still know that cardio is what I need to be doing. 

But today, I celebrate the 6th anniversary of my surgery -- my new-birthday as I like to call it (it's great timing since it's about six months from my real birthday...who doesn't need a mid-year celebration to keep the spirits up!).  Two years ago, I got a tattoo of a four leaf clover to memorialize my day.  Yes, I know...THREE leaf clovers actually symbolize St. Patty's Day, but I was hoping to give myself a little extra luck.  :-)

Have a safe and fun St. Patrick's Day!  And happy new-birthday to me!

4 comments:

  1. I remember coming to see you the next day. I don't EVER drive in SF, so it was a big outing for me. I remember how pissed I was that the nurses did not have you up walking and the nurse who tried to explain to me that you had had major surgery...I still remember the shocked look on her face when I whipped my shirt up and showed her my scar and proceeded to unhook you from all your gadgets so we could walk the hallway...Happy New Birthday to YOU!!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. Up and walking was not an option for me the first day. I think they over-anesthetized me me because of the complications. I couldn't keep my eyes open for more than a few minutes. And then you came back because YOU drove me home five days later! :-D Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, you are amazing, and I so look forward to seeing you in class tonight. Twirl on girl you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I'm excited for tonight! I hope to bust out my final routine!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete