Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Studio Spotlight: Pin-Up Pole Dancing!

We have another addition to our ever-growing pole dance community:  Megan from Pin-Up Pole Dancing in Charleston, South Carolina!

What is your fitness background?

I have always been an athlete really.  When I was younger, I was a gymnast, I played volleyball, golf, and tennis.  As I got older I got into muay thai fighting and of course, pole dancing.

What is your fitness routine (on and off the pole)?

Pole Dancing is definitely the best work out there is.  It truly works every muscle in your body using your own weight, so it's great for toning.  Off the pole, I run, do the elliptical machine, and I use free weights for strength training.  Lots of reps, low weight.  I pole dance at least four times a week as of now and work out usually four-five days a week.

What kind of diet do you follow?
     
Well this is kind of embarrassing, because honestly, I am shameless about eating.  I don't diet because I am of the school of thought that, "If I die tomorrow...", I do not want to be thinking, "Damn, I really should have eaten that Chick-fil-A sandwich."  I know, ridiculous, but there it is.  Luckily, I don't really like a lot of nasty things for you like ham, red meat, potato chips, donuts, etc.  I tend to gravitate toward anything chicken, turkey, seafood, all things on the breakfast menu except for ham/ bacon(nasty), and I have really had a thing for ice cream lately.  I like fruit, except for honey dew, and vegetables, except for onions.  Sadly, I love all things carb; pizza, bagels, pasta, fries.  No avoiding that really.

Do you have a dance background?

I danced minimally for awhile there, but nothing intense.  Pole dancing is the form of dance I focus on.

Do you compete (pole fitness or any other kind of fitness competitions)?

I do not compete.  Good for those that do, but for me I feel it makes the pole a competitive environment and that is not what Pin-Up is about.  We want everyone to have fun, feel comfortable, realize everyone learns pole dancing at their own pace.  It is not a competition in the studio.
    
What interested you about pole dancing?

I was a gymnast for a long time, bars was my best event.  I was bored when I was living back home working a new job and none of my friends were around.  I was no longer doing gymnastics because I became too tall and too old, frankly.  I thought I would give pole dancing a try as new form of exercise and loved it.  Luckily, I think largely due to my gymnastics background, I was able to pick up on it pretty quickly.


Do you have a preference? "pole fitness" or "pole dancing"

I approached pole dancing as a work out, and IT IS, but Pin-Up in pure "pole dancing".  You tone up and burn calories but we are not a cardio class structure.  We teach you how to use that pole as intended;)  Pure pole tricks and dances.  So, pole dancing.


What do you think about the stripper vs. pole fitness debate?

I think everyone needs to lay off the strippers a little to be honest (and they are called "dancers", so don't roll up to the strip joint and start calling them "strippers".  They aren't down.).  I have met many of them and they are all women just like you and me and they are all really very nice girls.  You may not like what they do, so don't do it yourself, but they take a lot of heat and most of them really just need money.  There wouldn't be "pole fitness" without strippers, let's face it.  Where do you think pole dancing is coming from?  I say embrace it.  It's beautiful, sexy, and if done well, I believe an art.  There is nothing wrong with the sexuality attached to pole dancing.  Women should take the reins with there sexuality, not be ashamed of it.

What is your favorite product to help you stick to the pole?

Not a product, you.  Callouses.  Hands down.

How do you deal with the dry skin on pole days (and on off-pole days)?

At this point, I'm used to no lotion and dry skin pole days.  It's just the way it is.  NO LOTION ON MY POLES.  Period.  When I have a pole-free day, believe I lotion up!  I have this guy friend back in Michigan who has an older brother that works for the packaging sector of Estee Lauder, so my friend is always smuggling me free expensive, awesome stuff.  Score.  Jo Malone, Laura Mercier, Clarins, you name it, big tubs of the good stuff.  They are all good and usually smell like some dessert or a tropical flower of some type.  But my two ultimate favorite lotions are Kiehl's Creme de Corps and Kai Body Lotion.  Pricy but they are the best.

Where do you like to buy your pole clothes?

American Apparel.  Though I just found this website, www.thepoledancingshop.com, and it looks promising.

Do you like to dance in heels or barefoot?

I'm lazy, so barefoot.  I have long giraffe legs too, so the heels weigh me down, but I will do it if needed.

What did you do before opening your pole studio?

I worked for a company called Professional Management Groups as a Sales Rep and District Manager for the state of Michigan.  I still am always open to more sales/ marketing opportunities since that is where most of my experience is.

How did you come up with the name for your studio?
    
I was on an airplane with my mother and I said I wanted all "P's" since "pole dancing" starts with "P", and I like the idea of retro, old school bombshells.  Pin-Up was something that just came to mind.  I still like it:)

What is your favorite thing about dancing on the pole?

I like the challenge I think.  It is like gymnastics in a lot of ways.  Learning a new trick, doing it over and over until you get it down.  I like the methodical, practice- oriented nature of it.

What is your favorite song to dance to (at this moment)?

Oh man, I have some favorites for sure! Hahaha, people will probably laugh about this, I could go on and on.  I like "Cyclone" by Baby Bash, one of my true faves.  "Break the Ice"- Britney Spears, "Hard"- Rihanna, "Crazy"- Aerosmith.  The list goes on.

Do you have any other upcoming events you'd like people to know about?

Yes actually!  We are doing a special for College of Charleston girls since they just got back that if they sign up with a friend they receive $20.00 off the beginner class, and we are talking with the owners of NV now for a demonstration/sign-up event in the club night, probably a Thursday from what they have said so far.  That is going to be really cool, we are working out the details now so check the Facebook page to see when it will be.  Discounted drinks, no cover, watch the girls do a few tricks so you can see what to expect in the class and you can sign up there with a discount!  Stay tuned Pin-Up Girls!

What else would you like people to know about you or your studio?

I think Pin-Up's reputation speaks for itself, really.  We have been operating for almost four years now and we have had hundreds of ladies from all backgrounds, shapes, sizes, ages, personalities, you name it, that have come through our doors.  Not only have they all had a great time, learned a ton, and got into better shape, but additionally they have made some lasting friendships and found other great, fun women in their community that have similar interests.  We all end up networking/ working together, going out together, and providing a fun, sexy, safe environment to be active in and try something new.  Pole dancing is SO much fun, and the overall Pin-Up experience is more far reaching than most people know at first glance.  It is a great thing to try on your own, as I initially did, or something fun to do with your girlfriends.  Get out there, have fun, try new things!  You will love the classes!

For those that don't know where we are located, we are in downtown Charleston at 48 N. Market Street on the third floor, Club NV, above Henry's.  We hope to see you there soon!  Please call (843) 670-8937 to sign up or get more info. 

*****

You can also find Pin-Up Pole Dancing's website HERE.  
Please stop by for a visit if you are in the Charleston area!

No comments:

Post a Comment