Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Studio Spotlight: Poletential!

I first heard about Poletential when I started going to Twirly Girls almost two years ago.  Since both studios are in the Bay Area, it was assumed that they are fierce competitors.  However, they are almost an hour apart, so there really is no reason to feel this way.  I started seeing awesome photos with pretty backgrounds on Facebook from their studio.  I heard about the lovely Amber Richard (who also teaches at BeSpun in Hollywood when she's going to school), who is another tall pole dancer.  Poletential seemed like a cool pole studio, just like my Twirly Girls!

Earlier this year, I attended the Air Show at a club in Redwood City.  I later saw on Facebook that one of their girls was battling breast cancer.  I joined the Team Pink Tracey Facebook group and learned that they are having a fundraiser to support Tracey.  Like any other studio, they are a family and they are supportive of their family.  I love hearing good things about other studios!  


Rita and I are planning to attend the Zumba Fundraiser this month and are excited to try the silks hammock class next month at Poletential. 

Anyway, here are co-owners Christina and Pam from Poletential, who are joining our pole circle!


What is your fitness background?

Christina: I was a fast-pitch softball pitcher when I was younger, I worked 80 hour weeks during most of the 80's and 90's so there was very little fitness. I finally found Pilates after retiring from High Tech in 1999 and was hooked. I also love trying new things like cycling, surfing, kayaking...etc.

Pam:  I was a gymnast for 10 years and after several injuries I hung up my leotard.  I didn't do much in my 20's other than sleep and watch TV and it wasn't until I was in my 30's when a co-worker dragged me to a Pilates class that I started a regular fitness routine.  Now that I'm in my 40's I'll try anything that involves adrenaline, specifically climbing things!

What is your fitness routine (on and off the pole)?

Christina: I incorporate Pilates into all the classes that I teach so that I make sure to get it in for myself. Most of my routine includes teaching, teaching and teaching.

Pam:  It's not what I wish it was.  I work a 40 hour a week job that requires me to travel 50% of the time and I have 2 young children.  All my fitness is on a pole or a piece of fabric.

What kind of diet do you follow?

Christina: I just lost a ton of weight following a very low calorie, lean protein and pretty much no carb diet. I'm still trying to follow it, but with a bit more cheating.

Pam:  No specific diet.  I would be happy eating only bread and cheese every single day.

Do you have a dance background?

Christina: Ha, ha, ha. No. I'm a dancer wanna-be.

Pam:  Ditto to what Christina said.  Just the question makes me giggle.

Do you compete (pole fitness or any other kind of fitness competitions)?

Christina: Not until they have an over 45 and tires easily division.

Pam:  No competing for me but I really enjoy attending the different competitions.

What interested you about pole dancing?

Christina: I love the combination of expression and strength. It is the only time my brain turns off and I'm in the moment.

Pam:  I started pole dancing a few months after having my son and it made me feel confident again and whipped my bootie back into shape.  I was instantly hooked. 

Do you have a preference? "pole fitness" or "pole dancing"

Christina: It all depends on the conversation. We do both.

Pam:  I consider them both forms of fitness whether I'm in bare feet with all the lights on or wearing 6" stiletto's with the lights off.  I love them both.

What do you think about the stripper vs. fitness debate?

Christina: Not sure. I guess I don't really understand the "debate"

Pam:  Can you bust into a Superman? Not sure what the "debate" is about?

What is your favorite product to help you stick to the pole?

Christina: Sheer will.

Pam:  I don't use any type of grip aide.

Do you like to dance in heels or barefoot?

Christina: Both!

Pam:  Both, and add quad skates to the mix for me!

What did you do before opening your pole studio?

Christina: Feeling sorry for myself because I had retired from High Tech and didn't know what to do next.

Pam:  I am an event planner which is still my full time job.  Poletential is my passion and my sanctuary.

How did you come up with the name for your studio?

Christina: It popped into my head as a "code name". Typical of High Tech where we put a code name on a project. I told Pam, here is what we can use until we have a name. It stuck. She came up with the "Fitness with a Twirl" part of it!

What is your favorite thing about dancing on the pole?

Christina: The feeling of letting go.

Pam:  It's all about me!

What is your favorite song to dance to (at this moment)?

Christina: It is always based on my next "performance" and that is a secret.

Pam:  Johnny Cash's "Hurt" was, is and always will be my favorite.

Tell us about Team Pink Tracey and the upcoming Zumba FUNdraiser.

Tracey is part of the Poletential Family. We watched her really grow as a pole dancer, Mom and woman. Her diagnosis really rallied the entire client base to pull together and help her. It really could have happened to any one of us. Team Pink Tracey is our FaceBook group that has members from all walks of life who help with support, money, rides and so much more! Our instructor, AnnaLiza, has mobilized all of her Zumba gals to gather for an amazing FUNdraiser for Tracey on October 14th at Poletential. Ok...tears...go to the website for more info.


[The FUNdraiser is Friday, October 14, please check the link above for more information!]

Do you have any other upcoming events you'd like people to know about?

Our second "AirShow: Performance with a Twirl" is on December 3rd. Our first one in July was a huge hit! We have amazing performers along with our own students both on the pole and aerial. We will have a ton of great guest instructor workshops that weekend too.

What else would you like people to know about you or your studio?


Everyone is welcome at Poletential!

*****

If you are in Northern California, you can visit Poletential in Redwood City. 


No comments:

Post a Comment