Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Power of Pole: Here's Angela!

So Ange is another friend from OC Pole Fitness...we are not only pole sisters but gastric bypass sisters as well.  And I thought it was funny she found OC Pole on MySpace...OC Pole on MySpace years ago was my FIRST interaction with a pole dance studio too!

How long have you been pole dancing?
 
I just celebrated my 2 year pole-versary on November 14. I say pole fitness since my primary goal was fitness while incorporating dance. I tend to say that because I do live in Southern California where there are strip clubs all over the place and I want to make people, guys especially, understand that this is fitness first, dance second, and something I most likely will not be letting them see me do.
 
 
What first drew you to try it?
 
I had just had my gastric bypass surgery and was looking at a variety of workouts to do. I'm certified to teach Turbo Kick and Hip Hop Hustle, but I just wanted something really challenging. I also have a sculpting cert and I figured I could manage my own workouts as well as try some new things. I had originally been looking at Tribal Belly dance and several other dance type classes, ie. Flamenco and Tango.
 
A friend had called and asked me to look up a local bar/grill's live music schedule and the easiest way to do that was through Myspace. While on their page, I saw this avatar of a woman nearly upside down on a pole. So I clicked the image and there was the OC Pole Fitness Myspace Page with Collette doing the most amazing trick. Since I'd just gotten back from my Surgeon's office where he'd just told me, point-blank, "Go Work Out!" I knew I needed to find something and get going. You'd think that at 330 pounds, I'd never even consider pole, but I called that minute and signed up for my first class. That was November 14, 2009. I started that Saturday morning with Collette herself and I weighed 325 pounds my first day of class.
 
 
 
Do you have a pole at home?
 
I do. It's in my garage, currently as I'm moving in with my Fiancé and haven't moved it yet.
 
How often do you pole?
 
4-6 times a week (counting my aerial hoop class). I had a shoulder injury in July and have been off for a few months so the rotator cuff could heal. But once I move my pole, I plan to practice and attend classes again.
 
What else do you do to keep your body in shape to pole?
 
Body Bar Boot Camp, Hoop, Two Flexibility classes: All at OC Pole Fitness.
 
 
Do you like to dance in shoes or barefoot?
 
Neither. I wear ballet slippers. I wear a particular type that has the instep cut out so that I can move better, but the ball of my foot is covered and I can pivot better.
 
How do you deal with dry skin on pole days and on off-pole days?
 
I have very dry skin. So dry that if I don't oil/lotion up (even on pole days), I'm much more slippery on the pole than if I just greased the pole with lotion.
 
What is your favorite product to help you stick to the pole?
 
I use Dry Hands, but that's because I haven't tried anything else. I'd like to try a few others because I still slip with Dry Hands.
 
Where do you buy your pole clothes?
 
When I was heavy, I wore these awesome cargo shorts (long) that I used when I taught kickboxing and hip hop. Climbing wasn't going to be in my future any time soon so I went for maximum comfort.
 
Now I'm best friends with booty shorts and tiny tank tops courtesy of OC Pole Fitness. I have a deep love for their comfortable pants and long skirts. So comfy.
 
 
What is your favorite song to dance to right now?
 
Zombie by Natalie Kills. Mainly for Hoop.
 
How do you feel like pole has improved or changed your life?
 
I lost 210 pounds so that was an improvement. But what pole really did was allow me to grow into my weight loss with grace and humor. Because of the movements in Pole, I never had that "melting sludge body". My surgeon was captivated by the fact that I not only lost evenly, but with much less skin issues than he'd ever seen in a 200 pound weight loss. He was also ecstatic over the fact that I developed great musculature and reset my metabolism. All because of the dynamics of pole and the fact that it is a total body workout as opposed to cardio. As pole requires a lot of weight bearing and because an individual becomes so caught up in pushing themselves to achieve their target (trick, move or transition), you get amazing definition and pretty rapidly, too. I like to say it's the hardest workout you'll ever love. I've gotten a couple of my friends turned on to Pole and it's been wonderful watching them blossom and drop pounds while gaining confidence and cultivating a feminine sexiness.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing, I love reading such inspiring stories..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are enjoying the stories! I forgot to include a comment from Angie. The first 100 pounds or so after gastric bypass is the surgery working for you. The rest is all you. So she has lost another 110 pounds using pole dancing as her main source of exercise (Or, as she said: "pole has stripped off 110 pounds"...hehehe!!). That is amazing. She is so inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete